IT HAS COME TO THE NOTICE, WITH SHOCK AND DISAPPOINTMENT, OF THE United Council of Imams-Sierra Leone, and Muslims in this country in general that the Minister of Social Welfare Gender and Children’s Affairs, Hon. Minister Moijue Kai Kai is insisting on droping out some Imams nominated by the United Council of Imams as beneficiaries for this year’s Hajj scholarship personally provided by HE, the President, Dr. Ernest Bai Koroma for Imams. The Council views this unilateral decision of Hon. Moijue Kai Kai as:-
– Destroying the unity of this spiritual body, and by extension, that of ALL Muslims in this country which the Council, with exemplary leadership, has been building since its establishment over two decades ago
– Frustrating the genuine intension and efforts of HE the President Ernest Bai Koroma, of enhancing the spiritual and moral enrichment of Imams and their followers by providing them with the opportunity of observing this fifth pillar and thus benefit from its socio-spiritual facilities
– A decisive policy that has the potential of dividing these spiritual leaders along the line he single-handedly chooses to tamper with the distribution of these Hajj scholarships intended for Imams and which were to be coordinated by the United Council of Imams-Sierra Leone.
– Reflecting Hon. Moijue Kai Kai’s utter disregard for Islam’s spiritual leaders and the institution that brings them together by vehemently ignoring their pleas and reasoning when he proposed to alter the manner of distributing these scholarships, which the Council believes contradicts HE’s fair play policy utterances which he always openly makes about Imams and Muslims in general are something that infuriates the leadership of this Council
– Sowing a seed of discord among Muslims in this country as he seems to set some sections of the Muslims against their spiritual leaders.
Therefore, the United Council of Imams-Sierra Leone, strongly condemns this action of the Hon. Minister Moijue Kai Kai and calls on HE, The President, Dr. Ernest Bai Koroma to intervene in this matter so that this special package which he so generously offers to these spiritual leaders. The Council, from the depth of its heart, wishes to express its gratitude to HE for this good gesture and pray for his success and ALL those who work for the good of this our beloved nation. The Council wishes to emphasize here that it is aware of, and determined to, execute its religious as well as civil responsibilities at all times. It is also aware of the confidence HE reposes in it by giving it the mandate to coordinate this special gift to these Islamic spiritual leaders.
Alhaji Mohamed Conteh, Secretary-General, United Council of Imams-Sierra Leone
Alhaji Ibrahim Lokeya Kamara, PRO, United Council of Imams-Sierra Leone
Dr. Mohamed Habib Sheriff, Director, Spiritual Guidance and Research Committee, United Council of Imams-Sierra Leone. Address 17b Kissy by pass road, Kissy