From the Department of Information and Public Affairs at the Permanent Mission of Sierra Leone to the United Nations
The Minister of Social Welfare , Gender and Children's Affairs, Hon. Stephen J. Gaojia , arrived in New York on Friday February 24 at the head of a Sierra Leone delegation to attend the 56th Session of the Commission on the Status of Women at the United Nations. According to the UN Entity For Gender Equality and The Empowerment of Women, the CSW "is a functional commission of the United Nations Economic and Social Council (ECOSOC).
“ It is the principal global policy-making body dedicated exclusively to gender equality and advancement of women. " According to the organization, "Every year, representatives of Member States gather at United Nations Headquarters in New York to evaluate progress on gender equality, identify challenges, set global standards and formulate concrete policies to promote gender equality and women's empowerment worldwide. " This year's meeting will officially start today 27 February and end on 09 March, 2012.
Other members of the delegation who have also arrived in New York include :
- Mrs. Fatou Kargbo : Chief Social Services Officer , Ministry of Social Welfare, Gender and Children's Affairs /Component Manager
- Mrs. Isatu Kajue : Gender Programme Manager, UNFPA
- Mrs. Naasu Fofanah : Gender Adviser, Office of the President
- Ms. Massah Kai-Samba : Traditional Gender Focal Point of the MSWGCA
- Ms. Martha P. Chigozie, Gender Coordinator of the MSWGCA
- Mr. AbdulRahim Kamara: Title to be announced later
- Mrs. Adama Thollie : Title to be announced later
Also expected to arrive in New York to form part of the delegation are :
- Hon. Rev. Marie Yansanneh : President -Parliamentary Female Caucus
- Hon. Bintu Myers : Chair, Parliamentary Committee In Social Welfare Gender
- Hon. Mrs. Elizabeth Alpha-Lavalie : Vice-President -Parliamentary Female Caucus
- Hon. Yapoh Kandeh Konteh : Chief -Parliamentary Committee on Media/Information
The focal point for the Session at the Sierra Leone Mission , Counselor Victoria Sulimani, is coordinating the various meetings and will provide regular briefings where applicable.
The Department of Information and Public Affairs of the Permanent Mission of Sierra Leone to the UN will also bring you full coverage of the meetings.